Please sign up to receive updates

Click on "Subscribe to OC Public Square" on right.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

YOU can make a difference!

We are getting overwhelmed with the news each day as we see the America we love nearly disappear before our eyes. But we are not helpless or hopeless.We can make phone calls to Washington and Sacramento. There are other things we can do and now is the time to do them!I passed by the liquor store in my old neighborhood last night and remembered it was there my political career in Costa Mesa began about 30 years ago. Sometimes I would send my kids over to the store for a quart of milk and I definitely did not want them perusing the adult magazines as they waited to pay for it. So I decided, with much trepidation, that I would approach the owner about covering up the adult magazines. At first, he wasn't agreeable, but eventually he put a piece of wood to cover about 2/3 of the magazines. Later, another mom and I collected signatures at the post office and asked the city attorney to help write a new city law requiring the magazines in the newstands to be covered the same way. The Council passed it.I served on the city Cable TV committee and then paid my dues on the Newport Mesa School Board for 8 years and served on the Parks and Recreation Commission for 4 years. I was elected to the Costa Mesa City Council in November 2006. I serve as Mayor Pro Tem now.Hopefully you will check in often and comment too!Think about a project you can undertake in your city to make it safer. Go to the City Council and School Board meetings and speak up! If not now, when? If not you, then who? Wendy

No comments: