Please sign up to receive updates

Click on "Subscribe to OC Public Square" on right.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

A time to Remember

We drove up to the Century Plaza last night for the LA area ALS/Lou Gerhig's Disease Gala.  We don't always attend, but it would have been my mom's 86th birthday. My dear mother, Helen Brooks, had ALS and passed away in 2003.  It was a great event to raise awareness and money for a disease that has no cure and for which the cause is unknown.  The cure is out there--it just hasn't been discovered yet!

Our family loves history--and my mom was particularly interested in grave sites--I remember as a child going to Abraham Lincoln's tomb in Springfield, Ill., Louisa May Alcott's grave--and others---so today I am going to push my Sunday nap back a little and go to our Historical Society's Open House with speaker Michael Barry.  He will speak at 2 pm. about "Orange County's Dead and Famous."  Collections can be viewed from 1-3 p.m.  Hope to see you there.  (1870 Anaheim, Costa Mesa).

Costa Mesa has a rich heritage and our Costa Mesa Historical Society does a great  job of preserving it and sharing it with our residents.

No comments: