Please sign up to receive updates

Click on "Subscribe to OC Public Square" on right.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Encouraging Responses to my motel visit

I shouldn't be surprised by getting positive feedback from the piece I wrote about my visit to the Costa Mesa Motor Inn. It confirms that we Costa Mesans, in spite of other differences in opinions, are collectively compassionate, caring and eager to show mercy to our neighbors if given the chance to do something tangible.

I have been burdened by the real life, hard luck stories I heard from the CMMI residents.

Of course many of us knew this day was coming for those who live in motels, mobile homes and other affordable housing in Costa Mesa. Many of us have copies of the City's  "M" map showing our motels and mobile home parks with colored dots as targets for redevelopment.  For awhile, the planning department gave out those maps to developers who could zero in on those parcels when looking for prime real estate deals in Costa Mesa knowing our developer friendly council would help with the details.

But it's almost Christmas,  so let's put aside the politics for a moment.  Is there anything we can do to ease the plight of some of our neighbors? We can't help hundreds in need, but maybe we can stop and help one, or two.

Yes, we can act on those heart- felt impulses and reach out with some small act of kindness.

My friend Terri is collecting sleeping bags for the homeless. She emailed me today that the bag I gave her was placed on a woman sleeping and the woman almost cried when Terri placed it over her.

I'm going to buy a gift card for one CMMI family that touched my heart.

Maybe you're thinking of doing something too. Do it!

Let's not get overwhelmed and discouraged by the battles we've lost or the ones ahead.

Let's show our  Costa Mesa love and compassion and chase the demons right out of our city and pray they don't come back.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

No comments: