Please sign up to receive updates

Click on "Subscribe to OC Public Square" on right.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where do we go from here?

I'm not one to get stuck dwelling on disappointments.  Last night's meeting and the selection of Steve Mensinger were no surprise to me.  This plan has been in the works for a long time. I am always open to new ideas on how to make our city better.  What bothers me the most is the disrespect and disdain shown for average Costa Mesans who have loved living here for many years. Also, I believe we need to respect our employees.  It's not their fault we have the financial challenges we have.  I take responsibility for our financial status. 

But I think this is a great opportunity for Costa Mesans who love their city to continue to be involved at City Hall.  Residents can come to the meetings, watch them on tv or the computer, write letters, send emails, and make calls to the Council voicing their opinions.

I met with all but three of the applicants for the Council, Planning Commission and Parks and Rec.  All of the applicants are passionate about their ideas and how they might contribute their time and talent to our city.  I encouraged them to apply for the Homeless Task force and other Committees when applications are available.  All residents can do this, not just the applicants who stepped up this time.

I will continue to stay strong and  be optimistic, civil and respectful.  I know the hearts of Costa Mesans are strong. I predict many new faces will be seen in the Council Chambers.   I know what makes our city great--it's the people--and our differences. It's the differences that glue us together.  I will keep working hard to see that those differences are respected and acknowledged.

No comments: